Why a Christian School?
The modern Christian school movement began in the late 1960’s in reaction to a decline in public school education. Drugs and violence were increasing; academic and moral standards were decreasing. Let me offer six biblical reasons why I believe you should send your child to a Christian School. [This was written many years ago- before the growth of the Christian home-school movement. We would certainly endorse a solid home-school education taught from a biblical perspective for these same reasons.]
1. Some call the Christian School a “hothouse” environment – sheltering the child. I agree. A farmer protects his young crops – allowing them to develop before putting them out in the world of bugs and weeds. Proverbs 22:6 states, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” We need to train up our young people to prepare them for life as a Christian adult. Exposing them to the bugs and weeds of society will not make them stronger, it will make them weaker.
2. The influence of peers during the teen years has been proven to be greater than that of teachers and parents. I Corinthians 15:33, “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.” It could be briefly paraphrased, “Bad company ruins good morals.” Though the Christian school is not perfect, the benefit of Christian friends in a nurturing atmosphere will prove to be a positive influence.
3. Every teacher your son or daughter has should be worthy of imitation, because she will be imitated. Luke 6:40, “The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.”
4. A Christ-centered education is the only source of true wisdom. Colossians 2:3, “In whom [Jesus Christ] are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”
5. We are warned to avoid being corrupted by secular philosophy. Colossians 2:8, “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”
The purpose of Gloucester County Christian School is to help the Christian family raise their children so that they have a desire to love and serve Jesus Christ and to grow in “wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.” Luke 2:52